As a leader in the chemical industry, Sumitomo Chemical considers the appropriate management of chemical substances fundamental, and not only observes strict compliance with all relevant laws and regulations, but also engages in enhancing Responsible Care activities to fulfill its Eco-First commitments to the Japanese Minister of the Environment.
- We will promote the management of chemical substances and the risk communication in an appropriate and proactive manner using proprietary technology.
- We will review the information on the safety for all our products manufactured and sold in annual amounts of one tonne or more by fiscal 2016, and we will conduct the appropriate risk assessments based on the results by fiscal 2020 using our proprietary technology. In addition we will make the results available to the general public as Safety Summaries.
- We will collaborate with chemical companies in the world on studies of the impact of chemical substances on human health and the environment (Long-range Research Initiative) in order to improve the safety of chemical substances.
- All the offices and facilities at Sumitomo Chemical will strive to communicate effectively with and promote information disclosure to local residents and other stakeholders in creative and voluntary ways that suit the needs of the local community.
- We will develop and apply management technologies that help reduce environmental impacts to realize safe and secure water treatment.
- To make it easier to select the more appropriate water treatment method (either activated sludge or incineration), we will work to more uniformly standardize methods for evaluating the various kinds of process water expelled from plants.
- We will use microbiota analysis, microbial immobilization and other proprietary technology to increase the sophistication of activated sludge treatment and thereby achieve the following goals:
- Ensure stable water treatment by checking and managing the health of the sludge biota
- Improve our treatment capabilities
- Switch over a portion of the treatment of wastewater for which activated sludge treatment had been deemed too difficult from incineration to such treatment
- We will proactively contribute to build a sustainable society.
- To contribute to society through the power of chemistry (and related businesses) and encourage reductions in CO2 emissions through the widespread adoption of low-carbon products and technologies, we internally designate products and technologies that help address climate change, actively promote the development and widespread adoption of these products and technologies, and make available to the public quantitative information on emission reductions.
- We strive to improve the unit energy consumption of all plants by an annual average of 1%. We will switch to energy sources with low emission factors, introduce cogeneration systems and promote the installation of LED lighting at worksites. Through these and other efforts, we will improve CO2 emission intensity from energy sources 15% relative to fiscal 2005 by fiscal 2020. As a result, total CO2 emissions in fiscal 2020 will be about 3.2 million tonnes, 15% lower than those in fiscal 2005.
- We promote internal education and environmental education activities in different regions to deepen understanding of the importance of environmental protection.