About the Response to the Spread of COVID-19 (As of April 8)
Apr. 8, 2020
Sumitomo Chemical Group expresses its heartfelt sympathy for all those who have been inflicted by the COVID-19 and those living in the region where their lives have been affected by its spread.
Sumitomo Chemical Group continues to do its utmost to secure safety of its employees as the first priority, while meeting its supply responsibilities to customers. The company has been implementing the following measures to prevent further spread of the virus:
1. Work Duties
For the time being, those employees in Tokyo and Osaka head offices at Sumitomo Chemical will work from home, in principle, if telework is possible. For those employees other than Tokyo and Osaka head offices, each business unit will make a decision after comprehensively assessing regional infection risks, commuting conditions, and the impact of telework on its operations.
2. Business Travel
- Overseas business trips will be prohibited until we confirm that this critical situation comes to an end.
- Domestic travels should be postponed, in principle.
- Group companies outside of Japan will follow the above criteria, and make decisions on their business trips based on recommendations made by the governments of the countries of their locations.
Global conference meetings held by the Sumitomo Chemical Group are suspended. The company will consider postponing meetings in Japan. If any meeting is held, Skype or other safe tool must be used.
4. Health and Hygiene Control
- In accordance with the “Travel Advice and Warning on Infectious Diseases” provided by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan, those employees who have returned from the countries and regions that are rated Level 2 (Avoid Non-essential Travel) or above must self-isolate for 14 days at home, notwithstanding the reasons for travel, and regardless of private or business travel.
- At Sumitomo Chemical, each business unit will decide whether to make it mandatory for employees to wear masks during commuting to and from work and working hours.